the mornings are becoming crisper by the day & perhaps you’ve noticed a shift in your taste buds. Who’s craving more comfort foods? You’re not alone! The weather may get more frightful, but the food will only get more delightful (hello holidays)! Don’t let the temptation of holiday favourites deter you from choosing nourishing, warming, whole foods, that won’t make you feel like hibernating all winter long.
Yes, the allure of tropical fruity smoothies may be losing their appeal, but don’t give up on blended breakfasts too soon! Smoothies can be the perfect seasonal meal to start your day with. The key is choosing warming ingredients (providing warming effects to your body), & pairing them with alkalizing ingredients (to support healthy cells & balanced mineral levels). Oh, and of course to leave you feeling energized and nourished all morning long!
So how does one build a warming smoothie? Here are 5 steps to guide you in the smoothie building journey!
(1) choose a vegetable base from whole food ingredients that are rooted in the ground and require more time to grow: Fennel, carrot, squash, pumpkin, cauliflower
(2) thaw your ingredients! If you choose frozen ingredients to add to your smoothie, allow time to defrost them prior to blending. Ice cold beverages can cause digestion to halt, leading to bloating, gas, and prolonged transit time. Nurture that digestive fire with room temperature foods.
(3) consider colour! Smoothies are a great way to sneak in extra nutritional value! Spinach, collard greens, and kale are all bright, leafy, alkalizing additions that will provide beneficial phytochemicals for every cell in your body! Oh and they’re full of fibre & neutral in flavour, so don’t worry about them overpowering your morning bevy.
(4) make it flavourful by adding warming herbs and spices! Ready for winter? You may want to give some of these additions a try: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, mint, rosemary, chilli, lemon
(5) Round it out with fat and protein! Adding a fat source will help tie you over till lunch! Some fatty favourites: walnuts, almonds, flax seed and chia, and avocado. Next, pick a clean protein that is free from added sugar.
Now that you know all the essential for building the perfect warming fall/winter smoothie, here’s a favourite to get you started!
winter green smoothie
what you’ll need:
1 cup almond milk
1 inch fresh ginger
1/2 cup squash, cubed
5-8 mint leaves
1-2 handfuls spinach
1 tbsp flax
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop chocolate or vanilla protein
add all ingredients into a high-speed blend & blend until smooth